There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Currently reading - William Gibson, "Neuromancer"

This cult classic was the source of the term 'cyberspace' as also many of the ideas behind the Matrix.
A friend of mine who dropped by today was discussing the game "Deus Ex" (based on the Unreal 1 engine, released around 2000) and the genre described by him as 'cyberpunk'. Which reminded me that I have this book, so now I'm reading it. Expect a review in a day or so.

Next Read: Philip K. Dick, "Flow my tears, the policeman said". By the same dude on whose books and short stories the movies "Minority Report" and cult classic "Bladerunner" ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?") were based. I read this three or four years ago and don't remember it too clearly any more. Just that it was whacked out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Total Recall was also based on one of Philip K Dick's short stories - We can emember you wholesale.

Ern said...

I responded to your post in my comments, but I thought I would post it here too, so you'd be sure to get it.

Thank you for such a thoughtful comment on my post. I completely agree with you that America is living on a bloated and flabby economic bubble of consumerism. We import far, far more than we export, and consume far more than our share of the worlds resources, as you pointed out. I am curious to see how all that will change over our lifetimes. Because it is only a matter of time before things will have to change. And Americans will not give up their wealth and standard of living willingly.

The watertank analogy you used is interesting. Are you saying that the decline of the US empire will be less dramatic because the shrinking world allows for ebb and flow? Whereas previous empires cracked and were destroyed, while the other isolated tanks were able to continue unaffected?

And, in the end, I have to play devil's advocate. Yes, over the smaller perspective of a few hundred years, these times might be noteworthy or interesting, apocalyptic even, to some. But on a larger historical scale, it is just one of many peoples/countries that rise and fall in the course of human existence.